Stay in and Help out!
As a result of precautions taken surrounding COVID-19, all in-person volunteer opportunities coordinated by the Center for Community Engaged Learning have been suspended until further notice. Once university programming returns to normal operations, in-person volunteering will also resume. In the meantime, there are still ways to get involved in the local community—and beyond—by participating as a virtual volunteer.
Current MSU Students should be sure to track their service hours on the MSU Civic Life App. If you log 100 hours or more between November 11, 2019, and November 12, 2020, you are eligible to receive the Spartan Volunteer Service Award, a presidential recognition.
2020 Fall Virtual Day of Service
Our annual Days of Service are great ways to help out the community and only require a short-term commitment (one day). This Fall Semester, the event will be completely virtual and held on October 10, 2020. Explore more information about the Day of Service and register at this link.
Other Ways to Get Involved
As always, there are other ways to get involved! Check out these ideas:
- Write letters to healthcare workers and those needing treatment
- Start a virtual book club
- Fundraise for a non-profit you are passionate about. Check out their website to see if they have a virtual fundraising platform
- Do your civic duty! Register to vote, apply to vote absentee, and complete your census!
- Continue to support local restaurants and businesses by ordering takeout/delivery and shopping online.
- Donate to the Student Emergency Assistance Fund to help students who have been financially impacted by COVID-19.
- Take some time to pick up litter around your neighborhood or plant flowers or a tree in your yard.
Know of any other virtual volunteering opportunities? E-mail Sophie Morin, email@example.com, with additional options.