America Reads/America Counts
The America Reads/America Counts (ARAC) is a federal work-study program designed to improve the reading and math skills of K-12 students through on-site or virtual tutoring. ARAC Tutors are placed in elementary, middle, and high schools, as well as after-school programs under the guidance of classroom teachers or after-school program staff.
The MSU America Reads/America Counts program has been providing paid work-study opportunities to students for over 25 years through the Center for Community Engaged Learning. The Center has established partnerships with Lansing and East Lansing Schools, along with several youth serving organizations that provide tutoring services to K-12 students in the Greater Lansing area.
- Federal Work-Study eligible as part of MSU financial aid package (usually around $3000 for the academic year)
- Have a minimum of eight hours per week available to tutor between the hours of 8am and 9pm, Monday through Friday. Tutors are expected to work 8-12 hours per week.
- Commit to work both Fall and Spring semesters.
- enrolled for classes at least half time both semesters.
- All majors are encouraged to apply
How to Apply
If you have any questions, please contact a member of our America Reads/Counts Programs Team, listed below.