America Reads/America Counts
The America Reads/America Counts (ARAC) program is a federal work-study program designed to improve the reading and math skills of K-12 students through on-site or virtual tutoring. ARAC Tutors are placed in elementary, middle, and high schools, as well as after-school programs, under the guidance of classroom teachers or after-school program staff.
The MSU America Reads/America Counts program has been providing paid work-study opportunities to students for over 25 years through the Center for Community Engaged Learning. The Center has established partnerships with Lansing and East Lansing Schools, along with several youth-serving organizations that provide tutoring services to K-12 students in the Greater Lansing area.
- Federal Work-Study eligible as part of MSU financial aid package (usually around $3000 for the academic year).
- Have a minimum of eight hours per week available to tutor between the hours of 8am and 9pm, Monday through Friday. Tutors are expected to work 8-12 hours per week.
- Commit to work both Fall and Spring semesters.
- Enrolled for classes at least half time both semesters.
- All majors are encouraged to apply!
How to Apply
Note: Fall recruiting has closed, but please feel free to submit an interest form and we will contact you in the spring.
If you have any questions, please contact a member of our America Reads/Counts Programs Team, listed below.